Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Days Three and Four at JazzFest

Saturday night was a really good night of music. I saw Theresa Anderson at the Rock N'Bowl, which was unexpected, but really kind of good, country-rock kind of music. And then, got to see Anders Osborne at the Rock N' Bowl as well (that's who I'd really gone there to see). I had seen him some years ago opening for Dr. John at Tip's Uptown, and I had remembered him as a really good Delta bluesman. He's become a lot more rock-n-roll ish, but it was a really good show. The sousaphone player who he uses instead of a bass player was cool to watch. I wonder how someone can do that: it seems like a tough instrument to play!

After the Rock N' Bowl, went to the Allie Cat above the Blue Nile to see Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes. They're a talented bunch, but didn't make much of an impression on me this night. I did enjoy the band I saw at the Blue Nile, though, who's name I don't know. It was sort of a bluegrass band (Randy said maybe they're a genre called jamgrass), with a ukulele (update: as Randy points out, it was a mandolin :) and guitars. Very fun to watch and they had the crowd going! Saw Li'l Hercules for a little while afterwards at Cafe Brasil to wind up a loooooong night about 7 am :)

Of course I didn't make it to Fest Sunday after all that! Hung out by the river and did a little work during the day. Went to dba for a drink in the evening, and lost my wallet! It was a scary experience, but when I went back, I managed to find it under the chair we were sitting at. oooh! i had to miss a dinner at acme oyster house for it, but it was such a relief, i felt good. that night, i saw otra, my favorite new orleans cuban latin jazz band. it was really good, and relaxing. lot of new musicians on the band (only the band-leading bass player and the nicaraguan conga drummer seem to be the same from last year). After that, we went to see Ziggy's Krewe. He had only Chris, the guitarist, from his usual band here. The rest were local gig musicians. And Leo Nocentelli and Cyril Neville put in guest appearances. It's always great to see Ziggy in New Orleans. He puts on his best show here!

That brought this Fest to an end! Another good year. Sorry it had to end. :(

1 comment:

Swami said...

Touche!!!